Print Thread
Rate Thread
My listening room
#403542 04/25/14 12:24 AM
3 Images
R
regular
My listening room

Here are some pictures of my current listening space. 2.2 setup using an ADA1000 driving two m22v3s, and two EP400s. Everything has been setup for the listening position (chair). Acoustics by ATS and GIK acoustics, MiniDSP 4x10HD active crossover, plus Dirac Live Room correction.
6 Comments
Re: My listening room
RobStewart #403543 04/25/14 12:25 AM
R
regular
OP Offline
regular
R
... and yes, the Tim Horton's coffee is a necessary part of good listening enjoyment wink!

RobStewart #403549 04/25/14 03:00 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Very beautiful!

Do you always have the big monitor in there? It seems like having it in the middle of the field between you and the speakers would mess up the imaging.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
RobStewart #403553 04/25/14 05:39 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Very nice
Do you have plans to raise the 500's?

Last edited by brwsaw; 04/25/14 05:42 AM.
RobStewart #403572 04/25/14 02:31 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
looks like a nice room, acoustically, but i wonder if your M22s have enough separation and, like Tom said,
is this the usual position for the monitor when you're listening?

lately, i found that as i pulled the front speakers out more from the front wall, the change gave me a better integration and reproduction of acoustic ambiance.
this means they also don't reproduce freq. quite as deep now, but who cares, when you use a sub, or two...

tomtuttle #403588 04/25/14 08:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Very beautiful!

Do you always have the big monitor in there? It seems like having it in the middle of the field between you and the speakers would mess up the imaging.

That is a really neat room for sure.
I would probably put that monitor up on the front wall instead and get 100" of gaming/movie enjoyment on a big screen.

Really nice room though. Quite the man cave.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
RobStewart #403589 04/25/14 10:31 PM
R
regular
OP Offline
regular
R
Hey guys, thanks so much for your comments!

Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Very beautiful! Do you always have the big monitor in there? It seems like having it in the middle of the field between you and the speakers would mess up the imaging.

Thanks very much, Tom! Surprisingly, it doesn't impact the imaging too much. The picture may make it look a little worse than it is. I must admit that I do remove it for critical listening though, just in case. I didn't think to mention that I use this room more for work than enjoyment (it must look a little odd having the desk and the monitor sitting where it is <smile>!).

Originally Posted By: brwsaw
Very nice Do you have plans to raise the 500's?

Thanks brwsaw, I am thinking about doing that, but am also considering Sorbothane feet and a heavy faux marble slab, so I may try that first before raising them. I got the idea to raise the 400s from reading an old Floyd Toole article/whitepaper on ideal subwoofer placement, and I have had great success with it. The 500s are a little taller though, so I'll have to test them out at different heights and see how it goes. I am also considering pushing the 500s closer to the corners, which may not be ideal, but we'll see. If I push subs too close to the walls in my room, the response below 40Hz becomes way too strong - i.e. no longer as flat as I'd like, so with the 400s, I found this position did the trick (you'll always have peaks and suck-outs etc, but this position seemed to sound and measure the flattest for me).

Originally Posted By: J. B.
looks like a nice room, acoustically, but i wonder if your M22s have enough separation and, like Tom said,
is this the usual position for the monitor when you're listening? lately, i found that as i pulled the front speakers out more from the front wall, the change gave me a better integration and reproduction of acoustic ambiance.
this means they also don't reproduce freq. quite as deep now, but who cares, when you use a sub, or two...

Thanks J.B., for recreational listening I'd agree that they should be spaced farther apart. I have made this room into a giant lens for audio analysis (audio mastering), and with my room dimensions being what they are, I had to make some compromises to here and there. For my work, I need a very tight, very focused sound where I hear a lot of direct sound from the speaker, and less of the room's acoustics. working within the square-footage of my room, I have chosen relatively compact reflection free zone so that I have a "live" end behind me that has reflective treatments, and the dead end up front. To make it all work, I had to place the monitors closer to the walls than I'd normally go, but after a lot of experimentation, I found that the bass response on them was the smoothest about where they are at (not sure how easy it is to see in the picture, they are sitting about a foot away from the walls). I ordered some port plugs the other day as well, just to see if they make much difference for my setup.

Originally Posted By: chesseroo

That is a really neat room for sure. I would probably put that monitor up on the front wall instead and get 100" of gaming/movie enjoyment on a big screen.

Thanks chesseroo, and good call smile! I do plan to buy a full-motion TV mount and install a 50" monitor (the TV needs to be big enough so that I can see what I type - ha <G>). Doing that would prevent me from having to move my monitor.

Moderated by  alan, Andrew, Brent, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044