Alright, so I'm crazy. I want to stuff an axiom system into a dorm room. Well, I guess to you guys, I'm not crazy. :-)

I was toying with the idea of getting an M60 setup, but obviously I have some serious space issues here. Since the room is...well...small, I knew that the M22ti's could easily do the job.

So currently, I'm looking at the Epic Grand Master 175 package, possibly just upping the sub to a 350.

My Dorm room is very long and skinny, but I already have a Kilpsch ProMedia 5.1 satalite system in there now set up at the desired locations for the listening area. About 8x12x8 (WxLxH). Small. The room itself is 20 feet long, but the farthest anyone sits back is about 12 feet. I am at the end of the dorm wing, so to the right of me there are no rooms, which is nice. there are people living above and below me though.

When I move home I move to my room, about 16x12x8. Essentially the same size.

Basically, I have two questions. For one, will the EP350 bother anyone more than the EP175? I mean, being able to shake a lamp off the table above me would be an entertaining idea, but for the sake of the people around me, I don't want to bother them too much. Do any of you have experience of how far the sound travels? The dorm rooms are separated by thick cinder blocks. I have been asked once to turn down my cheapo Klipsch ProMedia sub, but I really had the volume up then and the guy was in the room next to me.

Secondly, what kind of reciever would be the best bang for my buck? I don't want to spend any more than $500, period. Alot less would be nice.

I was looking at the Pioneer VSX-915-K or 815-K, which looked like they were almost as good as the VSX-1015TX without the THX rating. Some reviews led me to believe the 915 really wouldnt sound much different than the 1015TX.

Then I saw Yamaha. The RX-V567 really caught my eye as a great contender with some great reviews. I then looked at the RX-V557, only 5 watts less on each channel.

My question is to you guys, what receiver would I really need? Would I notice any difference between these models? Any recommendations for great budget receivers?

I am most likely going to keep these speakers for the rest of my life so...I hope it would be a good investment for a Freshman in college.

Thanks a bunch guys. Go axiom!

P.S. By the way, I don't know if it matters but I am going to run all music and DVD's from my computer. I'm just going to directly output the digital SPDIF signal from the good soundcard I have to the receiver. I was wondering if anyone else had good success with this and if it would effect the type of receiver I am getting. PowerDVD (DVD playing program) has the option of directly using SPDIF and not processing any DVD sound.

Last edited by danmagicman7; 12/16/05 09:34 PM.

M22s|VP100|QS4s|HSU STF2