M2s are a bit flatter around the mid-bass; M3s will play a bit more loudly and are much more satisfying as standalone speakers. I would go with the M3s for sure if you are planning to use them standalone in the future.

I'm not 100% sure but I am "pretty sure" that the bracket will work either way. The mounting plate is round so it's unlikely you would run into obstruction problems horizontally but not vertically.

If you are running a pair of M2s or M3s as a center, I found they worked better lying on their side with the tweeters at the center. In my case I had to invert them (woofer up) to avoid interference between the woofer magnet and the CRT e-beam but AFAIK the plasma shouldn't be affected much by magnetic fields. If it is, mounting the speakers a couple of inches away from the set seemed to be enough.

EDIT -- as a charter member of the "Axiom should make a center channel with 6.5" drivers" club it just occurred to me that I should probably be trying a pair of M3s as a center myself. Hmmm....

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8