I think CRTs in general are underrated as a technology. If the weight isn't an issue, then you get the advantage of a well understood technology. Every technology has its idiosyncracies that can annoy owners (rainbow effect in DLP, burn-in in many technologies, dust particles in LCD, fading an reliability in plasma, etc.) and the biggies for CRT in my mind are weight, and in some TVs, the noise. The noise isn't an issue if your ears are too old: our 27" Sony has some ~16kHz or so scream that I find annoying, but my wife can't hear, and my kids have never known any other TV so they don't know they should be annoyed by it.

Your comments about regular cable looking better on your TV shows that sometimes, perfection isn't what you want. It's like the complaint some report with Axioms, that they're too harsh or whatnot. CRTs are more analog than most TV technologies, and sometimes analog is much more forgiving than digital when there's a noisy signal.

As a bonus, the 300 lbs means that no one will be walking away with your TV in the event of a break in.

--Martin