Cost is partly irrelevant in a comparison. People have individual preferences such that the cost is in many cases a non-factor. If a person wants a real wood, birdseye maple finish, then the sound quality may not matter either. Such a person might be willing to pay 10k just to get that look.
There are many on this board that argue Axioms are the best speakers. I have always stated they are the best speaker for their price, IMO. However, i have speakers that are more expensive and yes, in my A/B testing, they do sound better.
Are they worth the extra price?
If they sound better to me, then yes, they are worth an extra price. How much extra cost comes down to the individual. The fact that my other speakers are nearly double the size and have a real wood finish also adds into the cost difference. Put those three factors together (nicer finish, bigger speaker, better sound) and it was enough for me to spend the extra dough.
Was it $100k more?
No.
That is beyond what i would pay for a quality difference.

Take a look at an old poll i put together that asked this question. Keep in mind that being on this forum as opposed to a 'swankier' audiophile site has likely skewed the numbers a bit towards the lower end, but an even chunk of ppl would go for a price point 4 times higher than Axioms.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."