I have absolutely no experience with projectors and screens, so I’ve been sorta winging it as I go. I’m now considering going with a 2.35:1 screen size for my never ending HT room project. I’ve done some reading at AVS, but still a little confused (again). I seam to recall that someone, or maybe more than one of you axiomites has this set up. Guess I should pay closer attention.

First off, should I go with this ratio or stick with 16.9? I own about 400 DVD’s and rent a couple each week. I usually just buy the good ones that come out and I think I might want to watch again some day. When I buy them, I always try to get wide screen, but heck if I know if they are anamorphic 2.35 or not. I don’t know enough about this to know what I don’t know……From what I’ve read, 2.35 is the way to go for picture quality, but it doesn’t come without some trade offs.

My front wall is 12’ wide and we’ll be sitting about 12’ from it. I was going to try painting a sheet of 3/4 MDF with a version of the Mississippi mud that I’ve got (already have the paints). I figured what the hell, it’s cheap and supposed to work, so why not give it a try?? Plus, this way I can just screw the sheet to wall and yank it off and re-do it if needed.

I’ve already got the projector (panny 900 au) and the DVD player (panny 97s).

Other than DVD’s, the only thing we watch is a little satellite in standard definition. No hope for HD in my area for at least one year as they need to shoot up another satellite.

What would be ‘right’ size screen for this room under the conditions listed above? I’d like to keep it under 8’ wide for aesthetic and speaker positioning reasons (need a couple feet to each side). By my figuring, I could make the screen 40” X 92”. That would leave me a few inches around the sheet of MDF to paint black boarders and trim it out? Would this be big enough for that wow factor?

I’m not too excited about needing black curtains on the front wall for those times when 2.35 isn’t possible. Plus, if the screen height is 40” with 2.35, then it would be smaller with 16.9 and 4.3 wouldn’t it? I dunno, but that might be way to small.

What type / brand of lense should I get, if 2.35 is the way to go?

Hell, any input at all would be appreciated at this point.