Hello, I have m22s and a HSU STF-2 sub and love them.

I wanted to buy my dad a nice stereo as a birthday present, we are moving and he hasn't been able to have a nice hifi for over 20 years. Music is one of his biggest hobbies.

I don't want to spend too much, so I've decided on floorstanders opposed to a sub and monitors. The best speakers he's used for the past 20 years were $16 comp speakers with static, hiss, and a messed up volume control so I am not worried about wheather or not absolute clarity is not achieved, or if he is missing the octave between 16-40 hz, since he's missing between 16-150 hz and between 7 and 20 KHz right now. I have read that for most given price points, monitors and a sub are better than floorstanders for the same price, and I tend to agree on some counts, but a lot of good subs also cost the same amount I want to spend on towers minus $100.

I decided on a NAD 3020 amp on ebay, unless I can find something cheaper for better. He doesn't crank music up too much, so I'm not worried about that. A cheap CD player from a reputable company is what I am going for also, something that'll last, used or refurbished that doesn't audibly color the sound.

There's a nearby dealer that sells the Paradigm Espirits, I've heard nothing but good things about them so far for their price point. http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/paradigm_esprit_v3.htm I was really sad to see the m40s go since I'd take them in a heartbeat over those. Used m40s, if anyone knows where I can find them, would be the best option for me. I wouldn't have to start this thread if I knew where I could get a pair used.

I don't want to pay more than $400 for the speakers. I do not mind buying used stuff, even scratched up and dented stuff if it doesn't effect the unit's sound. I want them to be axiomlike in both their philosophy and their sound, meaning the company prefers to use scientific findings to create a neutral sounding speaker that allows as much of the music as possible to come through untouched at a specific price point.