Quote:

In the end it probably won't matter which receiver I pick. what I'm doing is going to be such a huge upgrade over my condo surround sound that it simply won't matter. I'll probably get separates in 3 or 4 years anyway.

If I were in your shoes, aside from the speakers, I would get a lesser AVR (cheaper, with lots of features) and buy a couple of mono-blocks, to make up the difference, in the $1000+ range. This way, you get a decent receiver, for a cheap price, and can strain the amps to get the sound out with power.

I have an HK AVR7300...and while it's great (and cost me less than half off of original retail) I would have looked into something in the 500-600 range, with just as many features, and then spent the remaining 500-600 on some amps that could do a good job of driving the speakers.

Either way, good luck with the decisions. I have the M80's, VP150, 4 QS-8's, and an EP 600...in a room that is probably 14x24 with 8 ft. ceilings...and I love the sound. The whole house fills up with music..!