Hi John,

I to figured there was a bass null at my listening position and this is why: When I am standing up in front of the speakers, about 3 feet in front, I hear lot's of bass from the speaker themselves, in fact I can "feel" some of the air moving if they are loud enough. Of course, imaging, soundstage etc.. is completely off since I am way to close to them and my head is good 2.5 feet above them. As I back up, still standing, I start to notice a slight decrease in bass output, but when I sit down on my chair, I loose 80% of the bass. It just goes away, the high end, imaging, soundstage is just fine since I am in the "sweet spot" but the bass is just gone. I also notice quite a big bump in the mids, they sound thin from the lack of extension and over pronounced. If I stand up again, the bass comes back and as I walk closer to the speakers I get all the bass back. I just wished I could hear / feel the same bass output sitting down 12 feet in front as I do standing 3 feet in front. So my very first thought was, bass null caused by standing wave due to hard reflective surfaces ie: concrete. At this point I am considering either buying or building Bass traps and corner load them. If only there was an "easy" way for me to actually measure the acoustics of the room and have a graph showing where the peaks and valleys were I could then address them via acoustic treatments or furniture etc..

Although my listenin position is 4' away from the back wall, it is not to far off being in the "centre" of the room, I would say my head is at least 1/3 of the way towards the centre.

As for the Sub, when I am sitting down at my listening position and switch modes from stereo to "stereo plus sub" the difference is night and day, And I do not have to dial in my sub past 4 or 5 (out of 10) to get a good integration volume wise. Any more than that and the sub tends to take over the overeall sound and as much as I like making the house shake once in a while, I strive for a balance that merges the sub with the fronts so that no "one" frequency is significantly predominant. I don't mind running my sub ALL the time with the mains if that is the only way I will get a good overall sound, but it is really anoying me that those veritas, in my listening position, whithout a sub, sound completely anemic, thin etc..It colours the rest of the great highs and mids these speakers are capabable of.

At the end of the day, if there is indeed nothing wrong with the room and that is just "the way it is" with the speakers then I will either have to live with it or try different speakers. But I won't know that until I can either measure the room or try different things and record the changes.

Stephane

Acoustic Zen Adagio, Veritas center, Axiom EP500, QS8s, Anthem AVM20, MC20,Adcom GFA7400