In reply to:

I prefer laid back, mellow classical over big and loud…

[snip]

…but I think I also prefer 19th and 20th century composers over most (but not all) 18th century. I like the richer, fuller sound that most of the more “modern” pieces of music…

If I read these statements at the face value, I have to say that OGS20 is right on the money. I second his suggestion of chamber works from the broader “romantic” school, including, in addition to Brahms and Dvorak as mentioned, Schubert, Debussy, Franck, Elgar, Barber, and even late pieces of Beethoven to name an eclectic few.

But many moments of these romantic chamber music can be the exact opposite of “laid-back” and “mellow” (despite that there will be many mellow passages as well). With respect to the absolute “loudness,” they by no means approach 20-century full orchestral works. But the musical content can be highly agitating and even thunderous; sometimes it is truly surprising to hear the huge swing of sonority that a string quartet or piano trio can produce.

If you rather like “peaceful” yet “rich” sounds, you may well prefer, for example, orchestral works of Mozart and Bach. Bach’s orchestral suites and Brandenburg concertos, as well as Mozart’s mid and late symphonies and concertos, may be an excellent place to start.

You know, this is really a tough question. If you could give me a few classical pieces that you’ve heard and liked a lot, it would be much easier for me to start from there! For example, do you like any particular "orchestral" movie soundtrack?