Hey all,
I've had my system set up for a few days now and am really enjoying it. The only problem that I've been facing is that the EP350 sub like to 'fall asleep' at quiet volumes quite regularly. Its beginning to get quite annoying. I like to have to volume nice and low while working on homework, for background music while studying, and for late night listening.

It seems to vary greatly depending on what kind of music I have on. With the stuff that has a nice consistent bass line, I can turn the volume quite low withoug any problems (down to -45 on receiver, which is about 60db overall once the sub goes out). If I go up a few clicks, the sub kicks back in and the sound SPL goes up to about 65db, which isn't very loud at all. I won't be going much lower then this regularly. The problem lies with classical and orchestrated music, when there's not a whole lot of bass stuff going on, it needs to be as high as -18 or so on the receiver until it finally kicks in (SPL ranges from 70-80 dB with the sub still not on). This causes a lot of the subtle low notes and sounds to be completely lost, and is very degrading to the overall sound of the music (as I'm sure you could guess).

I've tried with the sub volume low and the LFE high on the receiver, as well as vice versa, and neither seems to cure the problem. Having the LFE level high seems to help the problem, but its still there. I have tried using a stereo encoded signal (over coax) as well as DTS 5.1 over Coax from my computer. The DTS seems to work better, which I'm guessing is because it has as a descrete LFE channel.

I've been looking through previous posts here on the forum of other people having the same problems, but none of them have written a solution to the problem. I'm curious if they ever found a way to fix it, or just sent the subs back and got something else. If anyone has found a solution to the problem, or have any other ideas I could try, please share.

Thanks

____________________________ M22 VP100 QS8 EP500 Yamaha HTR-5960