I have an Adcom GFA-555 MKII.

When I had the Axiom M22ti speakers, I used a Harman Kardon 3480. The amp never got warm enough to heat the plastic.

Now I have the Thiel CS3.6 speakers with that new adcom, and my dad has the Axioms as a birthday present. He loves them of course. They're about 83 dB/1 watt/1 meter, and my multimeter measures them to be 3-3.5 ohms.

When I have music on at a louder volume and there's a loud bass riff, if the room is hot(goes up to 85-90F in the summer, is 80 now with all the computer stuff here), the heatsinks get burning to the touch.

It's not in a rack or a case, it's in the middle of the room. I read in the manual Adcom sold an active cooling piece for it, but this was almost 20 years ago. So they may not have them anymore.

Should I worry about this, or is this normal? The Thiels made the HK shut down at higher volumes, the timing was funny. I have a few songs with long bass transients that were made artificially that swoop down in frequency quickly and go up in amplitude, before it hit 35-40 hz the HK would blink off if I had it on too loud which was the reason to get this Adcom. When that swoop comes here the amp gets noticeably hotter, and stays like that until I turn it off for a while.

While playing music, it also stays on for about 20 seconds after I unplug it.. at the same volume. Is this normal for a large amp or does this mean the capacitors are in need of replacing?

Last edited by Thasp; 11/24/06 07:26 PM.