So I am surfing the web and see that Rolling Stone magazine has listed the top 100 greatest guitar players of all time. I browse the list and see some the greats that would normally come to mind, Jimmy Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Eric Clapton, Jimmy Page, and even Neil Young (great Canadian). There were some odd ones like Joan Jett, or Joni Mitchell (You say great guitarist and Joan Jett doesn’t even come close to entering my mind). There were many I had never heard of before (granted I am not expert and do not play guitar) and a few that weren’t on the list that I felt should have been (Rik Emmet, Alex Lifeson, Liona Boyd).

So let’s have some fun here. I want to see the Axiom crowd’s top 5 favorite guitarists. I am only interested in artists that can perform live. Studio artists don’t count. Now days they can make anyone sound great in a recording studio. It doesn’t have to be Rock n Roll either, guitar is guitar. Playing fast is great if it’s musical. Remember to rate the ability of the artist on the instrument, not how popular they are. And remember to have fun!!!

So here are my top picks.

1. Rik Emmett (Triumph) – he is not only an awesome rock guitarist, but can play blues, jazz and classical as well. Plays not only lead buy rhythm at the same time during live performances.
2. Alex Lifeson (Rush) – Like Rik, carries all the guitar load for the band during live performances.
3. Eddie Van Halen – When he is not in Re-hab – probably the best Rock guitarist ever
4. Eric Clapton – Another well rounded guitar player.
5. Jimi Hendrix – Not a huge fan of his music, but I can respect his innovation on the instrument

I want to hear your favorites, and feel free to challenge (in a nice way) my picks also.

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990