Hi all, this is the story. Most of my CD's sound like crap on my Universal DVD players (have the HK DVD22 and Oppo971H), some well recorded stuff sounds really awesome but 90% sound like thin hollow very edgy and bright pieces of crap, in other words I cannot listen to them.
So, In my wondering I began reading up on stand alone CD players. Of course forums are forums where most people say you can't hear the difference with a blind a/b comparison, and I now know that they have NEVER heard a "good" CD player.

After reviewng several entry level "high end" players I decided on the NAD C542 because it got generally good reviews and most importantly my local HIFI shop let me audition it at home for the night. First of all,the well recorded stuff sounds even better now,even fuller sounding and especially noticeable is the much deeper soundstage and even more detail with the intricate stuff. Now, this is the good part, that 90% of my collection that I couldn't listen to sounds friggin awesome! I could not beleive it, I traded discs back and forth between the Oppo and the NAD and the difference is simply stunning. I have only had a chance to try a few of those crappy discs so far but will pass on my thoughts later as I listen to more of the "horrid" collection.

So, bottom line, I will be taking my demo back today and laying down $700 odd dollars for one of these little beauties. If you have the same issues with your collection, don't take my word as all systems are different but go out and find a dealer that will let you audition without commitment or maybe a BB or CC that sell higher end Dennon CDP and have a good return policy, listen yourself and be prepared to be stunned.

Still shaking my head,

Chris

Emotiva DMC1, MPS-1 ,M80v2 ,Klipsch RC64,Mirage Omni260 surrounds,Paradigm PW2200 sub