I really like the LPA-1. No quirks. Does just what an amp is supposed to do. Now, this is my first dedicated amplifier, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. However, my 'audiophile' friend has listened to it and commented that it seemed quite nice, and was very impressed that it cost lest than his last set of speaker wires . YMMV.

In any event, the LPA handles my 4-ohm M80's much better than my AVR. The AVR strains at moderately high volume and the sound becomes 'grainy'. The LPA remains calm and collected at high volumes. The highs are also quite a bit better with the LPA; smoother, more refined. I feel that the M80's sink into the background more with the LPA than with the AVR. Really, I like it. My only possible complaint is that it's quite a massive amp, so be sure that you have enough room for it! It doesn't fit in my AV rack, and so has to sit on top, which is not the best place for a heavy amp...

I'm actually thinking about the 990/LPA combo myself, but that would require purchsing a new AV rack, as neither fit in the rack, and I'm not balancing an LPA+990 on the top .

Outlaw makes really good stuff, though I say that through reputation only, as I've never actually heard any of it. Keep in mind that if you're buying the amp and pre-pro at the same time, Outlaw will give you a nice discount and the price difference isn't all that much. LPA @ $500 + 990 @$1000 = $1,500 vs Outlaw 990/7125 combo at $1,800. Also, that 7125 is a pure 125x7 design and is not as tall as the LPA, so if space is a concern, that may be something to think about.

Quote:

Peter- What is your opinion of the LPA-1? I am looking at buying the Outlaw 990 and now instead of the 7075 or 7125, buying the LPA-1 instead for $ 500 less then the Outlaw amp. I can't see how you can go wrong for that kind of money for that much power, unless the amp shares the same type of quirkiness of it's pre/pro partner.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office