I can say that I have not read anything negative about the LPA-1. I still say that it's worth every penny at $500, and for $300 it's a downright steal. I'd say that you can't go wrong. My LPA is bi-amping my M80s and has no problem driving them at 110+db without shutdown issues. Yeah, it gets pretty warm at those levels, but it doesn't shut down.

Just for giggles, I connected my M80's back up to my AVR, and tried to do some critical listening. I was rewarded with muddy, heavy bass and screechy, sibilant, highs. The LPA sounds quite a bit different, and really seems to calm and smooth everything out. Controlled and distinct bass, and significantly smoother highs.

I know that some will scream and yell that all amps sound the same, but they don't.

Quote:

11,002 it is. I have this $200 credit from Emotiva that I won from this contest, see. Emotiva's free shipping offer is about to expire, and since I never win anything, I've got the urge to test drive one of their products. But, after reading all this stuff, I wonder if spending $300 on an LPA-1 or $500 on an RPA-1 would be a mistake? I guess this kind of sounds like a poll.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office