I recently borrowed the "Firefly" series from a coworker and am very sorry this show didn't get much of a chance to stick around. I remember watching the pilot episode, but didn't understand everything--and for good reason. It turns out the second episode was shown by the network because the first didn't have enough action. What??? Screw trying to set up characters and introducing a new world--let's get to the explosions!!!! Very sad. Further brilliant programing by the network was the awesomeness of showing the episodes out of order.

I realize "Firefly" was not for everyone--a sci-fi western with a wacky sense of humor--but I was really drawn to the characters and the chemistry of the cast. From watching the supplemental material it seems the show was a labor of love for all involved, and it showed in the final product. Although a bit corny and awkward the show seemed to embrace those qualities and run with them.

After watching the episodes last weekend, I put on the film "Serenity," which I had seen before but didn't quite get because I missed almost all the television shows. While I enjoyed the movie before, I appreciated it much more after finishing the box set, and could really see where the show was intended to go. I'm sad it never got the chance.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose