Nick I am using HDMI from the A2 out to the TV and Optical from the A2 out to the receiver, I'm wondering....

Way back whenever I first set everything up I connected the Denon to the TV via component cable and the Denon to the receiver via optical, sound was never an issue. Watched, and got used to viewing this setup for almost two years. Not too long ago I connected the Denon to the TV via the HDMI and was some what astounded at the difference...the Denon was now upconverting to 1080i and man, now just about every DVD we viewed was so much better. I now wonder if I was looking for this same astounding difference between the upconverted 1080i and the HD DVD and, although an awesome picture, the astounding effect just wasn't there. Maybe I expected way much more than the end result.

There's no doubt that this HD-DVD is an awesome picture, but so was most of the SD disc with the upconversions. I'm also thinking in terms of cost associated with HD-DVD players, disc, receivers and so forth. The verdict is still out for me but over time, who knows.

I'm off for two weeks, the wind is blowing to beat 60 down here and the garage is clean so I'm busting out a Heineken, playing with this thing for a couple of hours...I'll figure this stuff out.

Rick
Our Room

smile