Originally Posted By: gem41573
For anyone burning the firmware to a disc, I can't stress enough to follow Lorenzo's advice and use Active ISO Burner. When I bought my first HD-A2 a couple of months ago, I downloaded the firmware fine, and then burned about 6 coasters with Nero, Roxio, Sonic, etc. I then saw a recommendation on AVS to use Active ISO Burner, and it worked the first time.

Here's what I did last night. I still have Active ISO Burner on my computer. I downloaded the firmware again from Toshiba (first shows up as HD-A2-2501N), and then unzipped it. It shows up as an ISO. I then right-clicked the ISO image file, and I did Open With, Choose Program. I found Active ISO Burner in my desktop list, chose that, then the ISO file should pop up in the ISO burner. I dropped the burn rate to 8X to be safe. Clicked burn. Finished the burn in about a minute, popped the disc in my new HD-A2, and it worked again just fine.

Here's Lorenzo's link again. I've used Active to burn ISO's since I first used it, and it works every time. Nero and Roxio hardly ever work for me with ISO's, so this is a great program.

http://www.ntfs.com/iso-burning.htm

I couldn't agree more. I was very frustrated trying to unsuccessfully burn the .iso with Roxio. I downloaded and installed Active ISO Burner, downloaded the firmware zip file (I used the HD-A2-2.5 ISO rather than the 2501N ) , unzipped, clicked on the ISO image file, and up popped Active ISO Burner with the correct path and burner already set. I, too, lowered the speed just to be on the safe side.

I burned the disc, put it into the machine and it worked perfectly. The only interesting thing I noticed was that my A2 only took about 10 minutes to perform the upgrade, rather than the 25 to 35 minutes as stated in the instructions, and which others are reporting. After upgrading, I checked the firmware version and it was, indeed, version 2.5 (up from 1.2). I watched a movie, and everything worked just fine.

Thank you Lorenzo and everyone else who contributed to this thread. I much appreciate the help. \:\)

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton