Originally Posted By: mdrew
Chess,

You are definitely a scientist…. LOL..

Guilty as charged.

Quote:
I’m not, nor claim to be an expert at this. I’m still learning how to identify smells and tastes, so this decanting element is new to me as well.

I'm still working on expanding my repertoire. The wine guides have been very helpful in providing a more broad range of descriptors.

Quote:
I have always noticed (prior to decanting) that the more ‘bold’ wines such as young cabs with a strong tannin presence mellow out

This is a common notation which i hope we can review.
Incidentally, i just got back from one of the neighbors place and he cracked open a Peter Lehmann Clancy. He then pulled out one of his Christmas gifts and yep, it sure was a wine aerator, the Vinturi, as previously mentioned.
I talked to them extensively about the wine tasting idea and i may approach some of our neighbor in the near future about giving this a go.

Thankfully one of them is also an audiophile and two of them recently had media rooms added to their basements, though no Axiom owners.
An overall great conversation evening with some of my fav topics.

As for the 'test' wine, a Beringer Founders Estate cab sav i can get locally.
That is one option.
Any broad name zins and cabs from the US should be available here, but none of the ones mentioned so far other than the Beringers are familiar to me. I would have to check.
How about a Gnarly Head old vine zin?

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/06/08 11:50 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."