Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
Fascinating discussion.

I've always wondered if the loss of alcohol through evaporation was a major contributor. I'd subscribe to that.

Well after a day of being open to air, more empty volume in the bottle and room temps, some alcohol will evaporate creating a 'softer' wine.
Adding any energy to the liquid will do the same (e.g. the blender concept). It would also greatly expose every little molecule to the outside world (increase surface area, increase reaction area).

Quote:
I liked very much your mention of environmental change factors being more than just exposure to oxygen. I think there is a pretty fine line between "aeration" and "oxidization", though.

The assumption is that air is oxygen when air is composed of other elements/biotics as well. Microbes for one. People apparently think dust mites only crawl.

Quote:

I'd submit that there is such a thing as "too much" aeration, but I wouldn't know where to begin to measure it.
And this is the tough part of environmental chemistry. How can you really measure it when dammit, we are talking about the whole environment being part of the reaction here?
Heat, light, elements, biotics, abiotics and most importantly, time. Variables so hard to control.
I tried to stop time once, my eyes went crossed.
Came back though.

Quote:
Like Mike, I am NOT a scientist.
Perhaps not by training but certainly in heart and spirit most people i know have a curious side to find answers and that's all a scientist is, other than being armed with 10 years of academic text shoved in the brain.

Quote:
Also, don't forget about the impact of light. I'll bet decanted wine under hot lights tastes different than decanted wine in the dark, if you know what I mean.

Actually i was thinking more along the lines of photolytic reactions but ok, heat and dark will work too.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."