Originally Posted By: jakeman
I just ordered the Integra 9.8. Did you try the pre-amp with any amp besides the a-1400-8? Have you had any issues with the Integra?

Hi John,

I initially used the Yamaha DSP-A1 as preamp for the A1400-8 and there was no hum. With the Integra DTC-9.8, there was a hum and this resolved with balanced interconnects. Kerr here also has the same combination and on my request he tested his DTC 9.8 with unbalanced interconnects and heard the samne hum as well (he went with balanced cables from the beginning). So, my advise is to use balanced cables with this combination if there is a hum or as prophylaxis.

Integra really shines with high rez audio from HDMI connection and even with CDs when this connection is used vs digital or analog inputs. With FW 1.04, it allows access to all of the Reon's settings and with the latest version of FW (1.05), it allows Auyssey Pro tuning capability. Its analog output stage may not be as good as your Arcam preamplifier and I did not have a chance to test the Integra thouroughly in this regard. If your use is mostly HT or multichannel music (such as with SACD or DVD-Audio), then I think the Integra is outstanding and for $1600 USD it is a steal. You may be interested in reading Kal Rubinson's review of the DTC-9.8 in the January issue of Stereophile. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

John

John
Our HT