John. I agree: pretty cool!! I think these two pages should be stickied on one of the forums here. Its a very concise explanation of power requirements and the things that AND it gives examples of spl's and headroom for various types of music.

Mark. It took a while to parse that first sentence, but I get you. I don't think a lot of people appreciate just what Axiom has done with their new amp.

If +25db is a reasonable requirement for peaks, at 85db spl, I would need 200 amps to drive the M60s clean... but I can get to about +23db on 120w On the Crown page they use +15db peaks as typical for home audio. For +25db I would need around 200w.

So, how much power I need really, really depends on how loud I like to listen to my music. This is something I want to establish when I go to give various speakers a listen at Axiom.

Quote:
so 25 would not suffice, as we are talking total rang

This is where I get confused when people talk about dynamic range. Are youl talking about total range as in from the quietest to the loudest? If I understand the way the calculator works, they are talking about peaks above average spl.

Another interesting thing on the link is that their chief engineer says that amplifyer continuous and peak power are virtually identical. Maybe he was refering only to Crown's amps, but I don't think so.

Fred

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!