Originally Posted By: EFalardeau
Yes, I ran the Audyssey EQ with my 805 connected to A1400 connected to 7 speakers (8 counting double center ion parallel). It was a single pass (3 seats).

The only reason why I did it (I never like the result of auto-eq) is that after having to move my right M80 closer to the side wall---it was then 12"/12" with a fairly strong toe-in---it felt like a booming hump in the bass. To make sure I was not hallucinating, I ran the auto-eq and the problem disappeared (but then the sound was just off... not to say awfull). I then reset the parameters and tried some manual EQ.

As soon as I confirmed that my ears were not deceiving me (and that they was something wrong at around 90hz), I solved the problem by moving changing the angle with the corner of my right M80---now 9.5"/13" with a less toe-in---until the bass sounded right again. After that, reset everything to normal, confirm with SPL in hand, and voilà! great sound again! \:\)

Thank you for the detailed reply. This certainly lends some credence to your theory that there is some form of limiter for the AVR units that does not exist for the SSP’s. Of course that assumes that Audyssey is the cause of my blown channels in the first place.

Not sure that all this speculation and conjecture is productive but heck we are hobbyists and that sort of comes with the job, doesn’t it. ;\)

Last edited by rmk1; 03/13/08 04:55 PM.