Originally Posted By: PaulHa
Hay, are you saying the M3's are not a good match for rear surrounds with the M60's and QS8's? Does it matter that they would be 15 feet behind the listening area?

For H/T they were fine, mine were about 4 feet behind me. If there was a pan around the room, the sound signature was noticeably different.

For multi channel music I didn't care for it, so I changed the wiring so the M3's were my Speaker B and I spent a lot of time sitting in the middle of the room going back and forth between them and my M60's. I listened with the M60's up front, then turned around and switched to the M3 in back. Once I realized I wasn't 100% happy with the 4 surrounds, plus the M3's were large, I took the M3's down. Once they were down, I played with using them up front as Presence surround speakers. This was neat but meant I could not run 4 rears and I would have preferred smaller M2's for the presence speakers.

Finally, I put the M3's on top of the M60's and switched back and forth A/B in 2 channel listening to a range of music. To me the 2 sounded very different but both excellent. Each one had their own pros and cons and I loved them both. I had a couple people over one day and turned on the system (2 channel music) with them not knowing which speakers were playing. I put on a few different tracks and they mentioned that my towers were killer. I let them know that they weren't on, it was the M3 bookshelves on top.

To me the M3's are just a little more laid back than the M60's. The detail is still there for the highs with the M3's but they just seem silky smooth. Switching quickly from M60 to M3 I prefer the M60. But, if I leave the M3 on for more than a couple seconds I find myself sitting there listening to a few songs.

For your application with the M3's being much further back your findings will most likely be different. I would possibly look at the M2's as an alternative, that or more QS8's as I find them great with music as well. My room really doesn't warrant a 7.1 system, but when I was having it built I knew it was the coming standard. Better to run wires when planning and when I sell the house I'm sure the next person will be glad that I did as well.

Good luck and half the fun is going through the set up and tests to find what you like best.

High Gloss Cherry
M60 VP150 QS8
Open for Auditions but please don't drool on the High Gloss