Originally Posted By: sirquack
John, I forgot to mention I've gone back/forth on using your method of dialing in each sub 5dB below, and then turning them all on, and calibrating them all the same as the other speakers.

The reason why the change is that when listening to music, I was just not getting the WoW affect in the lowww end. Ian's video mentioned to calibrate them all the same, and this seems to give me the lows I would expect from subs. 3 subs should blow me out of the room, and they are not. the only time is if I put on some of those Bass Subwoofer test songs on youtube. \:\)

Mojo, I have the new amp but not sure if it is the new firmware, I can tell you it does not have the bypass option anymore.

Ok well it depends how hot you want the sub system. I run 4 subs in total calibrated equal to my centre speaker ie 75hz. To get there I have to calibrate each sub to 65-66hz, which leaves lots of room and output in reserve for Pulse, WoTW type stuff. At combined 75hz, I know where reference is on my system. For music and concert DVDs its fine right there but for HT action flicks I usually bump it another 3 db. In my smaller sealed treated room the subs really pressurize the HT and flap the pants as they say. But when I shut down my system everything reverts to my reference 75db setting.

Besides the headroom, the subs provide the smooth FR across more seats. I wouldn't want them to overpower the rest of the speakers or blow me out of the room. Heck, if that is the objective just crank up one sub and always sit in the sweet spot.

I agree with Mojo about the best way to reduce the hum...try to get all electricity from the same receptacle which avoids ground loops.

John