Originally Posted By: Dundas
Makes it sound like a religious conviction not informed opinion but each to his own.

btw, Dan D'Agostino is "very much against" class D amplifiers

He is quite informed about it and not alone in his views; he didn't need much encouragement from me on that one. The main problem with parametric equalization is that the filters introduce ringing and phase errors which can make sound audibly worse especially in the mid and high range. I use manual equalization sparingly and only in the bass regions where those side effects are less noticeable. Auto-equalization, like the current Audessey stuff, is an unfortunate bullet which rarely works well but does seem to have found a niche with people who aren't comfortable with manual adjustments or like the placebo effect they provide.

Dan D'Agostino designs wonderful Class A amps. I'm a big fan of Krell products. Five years ago I would have agreed with his views about Class D amps but todays designs are much different than what was available when he designed the Krells and easily challenge the best linear amps. Having read some of his comments, I'd say he is out of touch with developments in Class D and agree with Mojo that his comments are somewhat self serving. With the improvements in switching technology and the natural advantages of Class D in weight, size, cost and heat, its inevitable that the Class D amps will continue to displace Class As.

John