Originally Posted By: mdrew
Were you educating me Chess, or other readers?

Nope, just talking in general. Sometimes people don't know the whole process of what MLF is or all the side compounds created in the process like diacetyl (the buttery smell).

Quote:
My comments were in regards specifically to Chardonnay. I too like a little oak, but not to the point where I feel like I just bit into a stick of butter, which many are like.

Are we talking about oak flavour imparted by barrels or the fat texture imparted by the MLF? I've had one or two oaky chardonnays that were not 'fat' in texture. The both tended to be more nutty in flavour and hence i'm thinking the winemakers toasted the oak barrels too heavily. The smooth texture created by MLF is used in reds to control acidity. I've had a few smooth reds and again, i really quite like the mouth feel in texture but i also prefer low acid wines most of the time.

Quote:

I prefer a good Sauv Blanc from Marlborough (New Zealand) or Casablanca Valley (Chile) then Chardonnay.

I thought you weren't a white wine drinker?
;\)

Quote:

Look above at my recommendations for Chile and Spain. Those are the best bang for the buck on the planet right now. Hop on over to wine.com and filter your search to Red > South America > price. Then do the same for Spain. I have found terrific bottles for under $15. With South America, the wines have a general “earthy” / “smoky” nose and pallet to them. With Spain, you get more of a traditional fruit forward type of wine. Neither have that big, in your face chewy characteristics found in Napa reds and French Bordeaux, but that isn’t always desirable, so I tend to hop around the globe to fit my mood.

Unfortunately we cannot buy wines from online stores in the US, not unless you get them shipped to the state south of one's province, drive down, pick them up, pay duties at the border...
The array of wines available down south can be far greater than here, depending in part on where you live and which provincial government has a stranglehold on the liquor imports.

Good wines for under $10 in Canada?
Brutally tough if they even exist.
Decent reds under $15, there are a number. For easy to find ones Mojo, i recommend looking at Fetzer and Mondavi's offerings at your local Liquor Barn. Sticking with some again, easy to find N.American names, also see Beringer, Kenwood, Kendall Jackson, Ironstone (all make good zins, cabs, and some chardonnays).

If you want to venture out and get recommendations from the local wineshop folk who know what they have in stock, then i would recommend a variety of Chilean reds as well.
Concha Y Toro is pretty common. Have a look for their Trio.

Last edited by chesseroo; 04/28/08 02:27 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."