I forget what thread I mentioned it in, but someone asked for pictures so I'll post them here (after relaying the story).

A few months ago, our HOA asked us to fix our rear gate. It was missing a slat and was sagging (sorry, no before pictures), so I decided to replace it completely. This is the first gate I've ever built and I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I did some googling to get the basic idea for making a gate and then modified one of the designs to suit me.

I made the frame from pressure treated 2x4s held together with 4" screws from the top and bottom. (I drilled pilot holes and countersink holes so they'd have enough bite.) After squaring the box, I attached L plates to the right top and bottom and then measured and cut the diagonal brace. I attached it with a couple 4" screws from the left bottom and a couple from the right top.

Then I attached the hinges to the frame, propped the frame at the proper height, and attached it to the post after measuring it for plumb.

After that, it was just a matter of attaching the 6' lengths of 1x4 to the frame. I was lucky that exactly 11 of them fit with ~1/8" gap in between.

What I didn't anticipate was having to hack out a chunk of the fencepost on the right so the gravity latch (you learn all sorts of new terms when shopping for gate hardware!) would be positioned so the front of the gate was flush with the existing fence.

I got that squared away (is that a pun?) and then drilled a hole for the pull string. Ta da! Brand new gate!

After the wood settles in, I'll square off the top and bottom. The slats have already shrunken (or swelled due to rain?) slightly since I first assembled the gate, as you can probably see in the first and third pic.