Now I'm in the mood to share....

All I know is that when we bought our first & current house, we needed a fridge and I decided to splurge a bit and buy a really nice one. It was a GE Profile side-by-side, stainless steel, in-door ice & water, filters, all the bells and whistles. It was about $1,800, back in 2001. It was a really nice fridge. A lot of money for us.

After about two months, the fridge started randomly freezing itself. No ice, no water. One frozen block of ice. Then it'd go into a mega-defrost mode where it would melt everything in the freezer, and spoil most of the the things in the fridge. After a couple of weeks of fighting with GE to try to get someone to come fix it (under warranty), they finally sent a rude pair of techs that were mad at me for living 90 miles away from their office and making them drive all that way. They replaced some of the electronics, and added a whole bunch of styrofoam insulation along the back of the inside. Nice. $1,800 fridge with taped-up styrofoam all over the inside.

Three months later it started doing it again. This time leaking water all over the kitchen floor. Two more weeks of fighting with GE's tech support and they sent out a different pair of guys that told me to never buy GE products because they get 10 times more service calls on them than any other brand. They replaced something in the electronics again, and valves and wiring that control the water & ice machine.

Five months later, the touch-panel on the front started acting up, the ice machine started over-filling itself and would create one huge block of ice, and the mechanism that pushes the ice out of the door had started making horrible grinding noises, even without ice in it. Techs came out again and replaced the motor but didn't do anything with the panel or the ice machine because they couldn't 'replicate' it.

GE did then send me a letter of apology because of all the problems and offered to extend the warranty another 6 months. Yay.

Three months later - ONE month outside of the original, and FIVE months inside their promised warranty, it went completely haywire. It would flip its compressor on and off, then freeze itself, then actually heat up, stop making ice completely, become unresponsive to the buttons, etc. Called GE and they had no record of ever offering the extended warranty, and claimed they had no fax machines there to receive the letter they sent me. Out of warranty, nothing they could do. We were on our own. All they offered to do was give me the numbers of 'local' repair shops. 50% of which said they didn't work on GE products anymore because GE would never pay them for warranty work. One that did took a look at it confirmed that its computer was fried (again) and quoted me over $500 to get the new circuit boards.

We actually threw a party when the scrap-metal guy gave us $5 for it and hauled it off to the junk yard.

I'm sure GE has made a few good products over the years, but I will never give them another dime if I can help it. Not even their light bulbs.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office