This is a long shot, but enough of us are into enough geeky hobbies that someone may have some input....

I've been an avid weather buff for as long as I can remember. Love the weather, watching storms, almost went to college for Meteorology, etc. Recently, I became a member of my local NWS office's SWOP team. It basically means that I email them with any sort of significant weather happenings in my area. Most specifically, rainfall totals. It's a neat program and I'd encourage anyone in the US that enjoys the weather to find out if their local office participates in this.

Anyway, I have had an indoor/outdoor thermometer/barometer station for a couple of years. Its sensors are not working very well and it's time to replace it. I want to upgrade to something that can do wind and rainfall, so I can be more helpful in the SWOP reports. So I'm looking at the low-end of home weather stations that include rain gauges and anemometers (wind). I can't justify spending $500+ on a Davis system, even though they are supposed to be the best. I'm looking at something in the $100-$200 range, like an Oregon Scientific WMR100 or a LaCrosse WS-2371U . Wireless is almost a necessity, as the best mounting place I have is surrounded by concrete which makes burying wires tricky.

The problem is that I keep finding very conflicted reports on these lower-end stations. Some reviews say they're all crap, while others say they work quite well. The WMR100 seems to get fairly consistently good reviews. But I do need one that is fairly accurate in terms of wind & rain.

So is anyone here a weather buff that actually owns a home weather station? I'd be very interested to hear about what model you have, how tricky it was to set up, and what you like and don't like about it.

Thanks!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office