I went to BevMo the other day and they had a $6 off 6 bottles of wine deal (I know, nothing that extravagant), but hey, I hadn't tried any new wine in a while, so I decided to branch out and try some varietals and regions I'm not too familiar with. All of these are under $20 (half of them closer to $10) and had good ratings - I know those don't guarantee a good wine, but seeing as how it'd be impossible to decide on a wine I don't know well, I thought I'd let the ratings guide me a little.

Here are the 6:
Infinitus '06 Tempranillo (Spain)
Pocas '04 Coroa d'Ouro (Portugal)
Altocedro '06 Malbec Reserve (Argentina)
Joseph Drouhin '05 Brouilly (Burgundy)
d'Arenberg '05 Grenache "The Custodian" (Australia)
d'Arenberg '04 Shiraz Grenache "d'Arry's Original" (Australia)

I'll give reports on the others as I try them. I opened up the d'Arry's Original yesterday. It's absolutely delicious! Definitely a "fruitbomb" as Gary Vaynerchuk would say, but oh so tasty. I could actually pick out specific blackberry, cherry and plum flavors, and I'm usually terrible at picking out individual flavor components in wines. The finish is excellent too - the tannins are present but not overpowering, and the finish is loooong - really coats the palate well. It's not a huge wine by any means - and not really all that complex, but it's extremely satisfying.

I like it so much I'm strongly considering going out and getting a few more bottles today. And I never do that.

Last edited by AdamP88; 09/24/08 11:59 PM.