Originally Posted By: mdrew

I had another pretty good white wine the other day. Actually, I though it was excellent. It’s from the Camus Vineyard and called Conundrum. It is a white blend of undisclosed varietals. One of us thought it was a Pinot Gri, another thought it was a Sav Blanc, another thought it was a Riesling. I was the only one who knew it was a blend. Everyone liked it though. If you’re a white wine purest, you might not like it. I would say it’s like a full bodied Chard with the nose of an Australian Sav Blanc, taste of a Riesling, finish of a Pinot Gri.

Now THAT is a wine to enjoy indeed!
I have two in the cellar.

Vintage 2006

The “puzzle” of Conundrum lies partly in guessing the range of grape varieties we use, because we never reveal its exact composition.

To create the layered flavors that go into the Conundrum blend, we brought in Sauvignon Blanc grapes from the Napa Valley, Muscat Canelli from Tulare County on the Central Coast, and Chardonnay and Viognier from our vineyards in Monterey County.

About one-quarter of the wine lots were fermented in stainless steel in order to preserve their individual fruit characteristics. The remaining lots were fermented in a combination of new and seasoned oak barrels for up to ten months.

We continue to have success in the twist-top closure. As a winemaker and someone who insists on wines without faults, I believe this closure is the right tool to protect the aromas and flavors that developed in the vineyards and were preserved in the bottle.

Tasting notes:
Soft tropical notes of guava and cherimoya, also peach and honeysuckle. The rich perfume is supported by concentrated and focused layers of peach and apricot nectar, pear and green melon with spicy vanilla notes. The creamy texture and balanced acidity carries through the palate for a long finish.

Jon Bolta
Winemaker/Production Director
Released October 2007
Suggested serving temperature: Lightly chilled

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."