Although I love the sound of Axioms, I own M80Ti/VP150, and 2 sets of QS8s, they are hard to drive by some receivers. Before I purchased any of the Axioms (from Audioshop via Internet) I inquired from both Ian/Axiom and Marc/Audioshop about whether there would be any special issues driving these speakers, and both assured me that essentially any current receiver could do the job. Well, that's not the case.

I had just upgraded to a top new Onkyo Integra 7.1 THX EX receiver, and while it gives great sound at very low to moderate levels, whenever I want to watch a movie in loud THX mode, after 10 minutes or so the receiver shuts down with protective circuit. Why is this, according to Onkyo dealer, and thir tech support, it is due to the speakers being too low impedence. Well, I thought, the receiver states it can handle 6 ohm speakers, the Axiom description on Audioshop website where I purchased the speakers also states 6ohm impedence. BUT, on the Axiom website, all of my speaker models are apparently 4 ohm impedence speakers and not 6 ohm (as my dealer advertises). No wonder my spanking new receiver can't handle these.

So, what am I to do? I love the sound of Axioms, so I'll have to sell my Onkyo Integra 7.1 (at a several hundred dollar loss), and look around for a receiver that can handle low impedence speakers (I've found the OUTLAW 1050 thus far). I do feel also that Axiom management should insist that their dealers provide accurate information to their customers. I will be taking this issue up with Audioshop as well whenever Marc from there returns from his holidays.