Originally Posted By: BoB/335

I am a little concerned from some forums and/or reviews that seem to think the M80's are a bit bright.

I shared your concern a couple years ago when I was looking to get speakers. But the more I read comments in internet forums from those who called the M80s “bright” they generally fell into three categories. First were the “fanboys” of other brands. Second, people who just preferred “laid back” speakers. And third those who were just repeating what the previous two groups said without ever hearing the M80s. Be especially weary of the forum posters who use hyperbole like “they made my ears bleed.”

I put much more credence in professional reviews like this.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/axiom_m80_v2_followup.htm

Originally Posted By: Doug Schneider

The M80 v2 is a floorstanding speaker that can reproduce nearly the entire audible range, has outstanding clarity, is commendably neutral-sounding, can fill a large space with a vast soundfield, and can play to astonishingly high SPLs and never turn edgy, grainy, or distorted.

There are some professional reviewers who conceder them “detailed” or “bright” which puts them in the same category as many B&W or JBL/Focal speakers, both of which I preferred to the Axioms but not at 2 to 3 times the price. If you’re not sure if you like detailed speakers then see if you can find some of the above or other “detailed/bright” brands locally and have a listen. Try to compare them to something more “laid back” in the same place and see which you prefer.

One thing make sure you have quality source material. Play a crappy CD on accurate speakers and big surprise you hear crappy sound, which is one reason I think some people prefer “laid back” speakers, they cover for poor recordings.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1