Dear Axiom and Axiom Friends,
I have been eagerly awaiting and putting aside cash to purchase my first set of Axiom Audio M80 v2's for weeks now and they finally arrived a few days after xmas. I am having a slight issue with the speakers, but I am sure it has to do with my setup so let me explain. (Please excuse the non-audiophile terms)

I am using a Creative Xfi Elite Pro as my pre-amp processor for movies, music, and gaming which outputs to a Luxman MX-100 Amp. The amp is about 20 years old and has a rated stereo (non bridged) power output of 140 X 2 at 8 ohms, or a bridged power output of 300 X 1. The AMP is most definitely an 8-ohm amp and I know the M80's are 4-ohm.

That is the setup. Now the issues. First off, there is an RMS wattage monitor right on the Classic Lux amp. When I am listening to music at low volume levels (less than 20 watt stereo bass peaks) the sound I must say is much different than anything I have ever experienced. At first I thought there was a problem with the audio track, until I listened over and over again to the songs and realized these were just instruments that I have never heard before in the songs. I am truly impressed and find a wonderfully warm and bright feeling to all of my music. Makes you want to just sit back and smoke a nice cuban cigar, drink a glass of cabernet.

Back on topic, as soon as there are any Bass Peaks of more than 45 watts, the low and mid drivers start "farting" and it is a violent fart sound. (excuse the non-audiophile lingo), so I have to immediately turn the audio down on my pre-amp. I can tell there is a lot of potential to be un-tapped on these speakers and I am hoping this is the issue because I have noticed after a good 5 minutes of usage the Luxman amp runs so hot you could cook an egg on top of it(where-as it never did this on my old polk 8 ohm setup):

I am hoping that this is just a slight issue with the 4-ohm load of the M80's clipping the power output on the 20 year old luxman 8 ohm amp.

Please someone verify!!!

Very kind regards,

Dominick V. Strippoli
Owner, SVTSnake.com
http://www.svtsnake.com