Originally Posted By: Murph
On the more positive side, here is one to show why I always have high praise for the Coast Guard. it was a bit of luck that they were only an hour from this ship in distress but still, nice to know they are out there.

Perhaps you know more about marine etiquette than I do and can enlighten me on something....

I read this yesterday.

"A British couple have been rescued from their 13-meter yacht in the Atlantic Ocean after they drifted for weeks with a broken rudder. ... Armstrong alerted the U.S. Coastguard of their problems, however, the Coastguard told the couple they were too far out to be rescued."

Emphasis added by me.

I don't know anything about maritime etiquette. But I find it very strange that the Coast Guard would receive an SOS but say, 'nope, sorry, you're too far away.' I understand that one could be too far away to be rescued by helicopter, but why wouldn't they attempt to rescue them by ship? If the disabled ship had a radio, and was in contact with the authorities, why wouldn't other ships have come to their aid sooner? I thought that it was sort of a maritime rule that ships would come to the aid of others if needed?

Anyone offer any insights?

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office