My current Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX from 2002 is officially slated for retirement this year.

I'm on the preorder list for Emotiva's UMC-1, but frankly I'm getting fed up with waiting for it. And the whole Axiom vs. Emotiva stuff has soured my feelings about them to some degree. I'm about to express my dissatisfaction with their project management by buying someting else.

I'm starting to research various other receivers. The Denon 3808 is an extremely popular one around here, and so I'm looking at that. But I have a soft spot for Pioneer Elite receivers, and I've found that I can get an SC-05 for a reasonable price. Does anyone have any experience with it?

If you do, sell me on it. What do you like? What do you dislike? Any problems in general? And if I'm lucky enough to find someone with an SC-05 and M80's - any problems running them? My 43TX is not happy running my M80's at *high* volume (thus the LPA-1). I assume the newer Elites are significantly better in this regard. But it may not matter to me as I can continue to use the LPA-1, though I'm up for selling it if the new receiver's amp section is up to the task.

I've read through about 150 pages of discussion about the SC-05/07 over on AVS and have learned a great deal. But I'd love to hear about it from a fellow Axiomite.

Thanks in advance!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office