That's my thought too, CV.

My same complaint with the 'we-don't-touch-the-HDMI-inputs' attitude of the Pioneer Elite. Just like NAD. But Denon, Onkyo, etc, don't seem to have a problem doing it. And the feature is defeatable for the purists.

I'm torn about the issue. On the one hand, I understand the need for purity. Leave the video upscaling to the video devices, and let the AVR handle the audio processing. But on the other hand, I want the ability to upscale if I need it. Of course, that $180 Oppo DVD player has an amazing upscaler, and if I'd just break down and buy one of those then my AVR upscaling ability would be a moot point (as would my SACD issues....)

But that's a key reason why I ordered the 876. I intend to really take a hard look at what its Reon chip can do. If it makes an improvement (to DVD's and 1080i HD TV) then I'll keep it. If it doesn't, then I'll send the 876 back and get a 3808.

At this point in time, my feeling is that the SC-05 may end up being returned. Unless, of course, I discover that the amp sections of the 876/3808 turn out to be underwhelming compared to the '05. The 05's sound quality really is magnificent, and as my wife points out, isn't that really the point of all of this? Decisions decisions. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office