Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I've not tried the Faroudja DCDi in my Pioneer receiver (since the Elites don't scale HDMI, the lowly standard models definitely don't). But I have an older Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi flagship DVD player, and a PDP-5020 Kuro plasma, along with my PS3. While the PS3 is rated good at enhancing detail while scaling DVDs, it isn't as good some of the newer scaler chips.Of the scalers I own and have been able to test I rate them in this order:

PS3: Very good, but doesn't do film cadence detection and scales the 240 lines of each field of 480i directly to 1080p/60.

See, I am just still very impressed the PS3 is even in the discussion. My TV is a fill in until I can get a projector so I have not been overly concerend with video details to this point, but your experience is very helpful. I mentioned to Peter the other day that a recent review of new projectors said the Reon chip was the best of the group. The other was in-house Sony, and I think the Panny used DCDi, but I might have that wrong. So I was thinking the Onkyo might actually do a really good job.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire