I agree with Mark. Unless you turn Audyssey (or any form of equalization,) off, you are not critically listening to the speakers but to speakers being drastically effected by whatever frequency modifications it chooses to add. This has the potential to slightly, but often drastically, alter the sound.

I'm not saying that you can't tweak Audyssey later on or that something else might mot also be wrong, but to truly evaluate the speakers themselves, you should first listen to what they sound like in their more pure, unaltered form.

In my M60 setup, in my particular room, I was extremely unhappy with the results that Audyssey would invoke on the sound. I tried many variations of setup and tweaking but it always appeared thin on vocals, lacking bass, and the highs sounded dull. I have an admittedly reflective room but it seemed to have overreacted. I turned it off and never looked back.

For others, it might be a blessing, but my first listen to any new speaker would always be to listen to it alone to at least get a baseline before attempting to tweak.

Last edited by Murph; 03/20/09 04:19 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.