Originally Posted By: Zimm

…Grado, then I can only complain about the comfort, because the actual sound is very accurate.

Comfort was my only complaint about the Grados. Having those things sitting on my “Yoda” ears was just to distracting.

As Peter said the “in-your-head” effect is to some degree unavoidable. I have noticed a couple of things about it. For me it’s much more noticeable if I’m switching back and for between headphones and speakers. However, listening exclusively on headphones for a month I’ve pretty much forgotten what I’m missing not using speakers. Also, open air headphone help to minimize this for me though others mileage may vary.

I’ve also noticed that a couple of the Digital Signal Proccessing (DSP) modes on my Denon do greatly enhance the spacial presentation of some recordings. For example the “Jazz Club” mode sounds very good for recordings that belong in that type of environment. The “Virtual” setting really enhances some movies and TV shows. In some cases sounds do seem to come from the front or back and high or low but certainly not to the extent that the QS8s are capable of. This setting is more variable I guess depended on the recording.

I don’t have the “Headphone” setting that Alan mentioned. However, although I don’t have one I understand that some headphone amps have a setting that allows crosstalk between the L/R channels to simulate sound reaching both ears from each speaker. As I understand it this is supposed to help things sound more “speaker-like.”

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1