Wondering if anyone has done this because it can be very costly, but from what I've read it is the only way to properly calibrate your television.

I posted the following on the Samsung 550 AVS thread-

Does anyone know what would cause a greenish hue to my picture(darker colors)? I hope somebody understands what I'm talking about because I don't know if something's wrong with my set, or if I need to adjust a setting; I have a 58A550.

Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Then Doug Blackburn (a well respected calibrator) replied with a long response but to paraphrase, he said that there are grayscale errors and my TV needs to be professionally calibrated which could cost (he charges)$400 for a Samsung.

I replied that that cost is out of my league and asked if a disk like Avia would do, and I received this response-

"It all depends on what you mean by "work just fine". The DVE Blu-ray disc will help you set the Brightness control & Sharpness control. Using filters you will set the Color and Tint controls (but filters are inaccurate and you almost always end up tweaking by eye after using the filters because the filters weren't completely accurate). Setting Contrast is more problematic because you don't have a meter to tell you what the peak white level is... there's more to setting Contrast than simply finding the brightest white the TV will produce without serious high-luminance errors.

None of those things will improve the grayscale, let you know what gamma you are using, or make the primary and complimentary colors more accurate. These are all calibration functions (on the Samsung, some TVs have no gamma adjustments or color accuracy controls). So, while the DVE disc will help you set the basic controls, it won't fix your problem at low luminance levels - that's a calibration issue."

Sorry for the long message, but I wanted to let you guys know what advice I've received.

Thanks, any input is greatly appreciated.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.