OK all, I'm back, up for air. Funny it takes a lot longer to get things set up than I initially think... even with two of us. Remember, I'm slow, but I do poor work!
1) unboxing,
2) putting on spikes
3) removing spikes to install rubber feet (Jay I concur, spikes were less stable on my carpet)
4) wiring the speaker selector box
5) pulling gear to move to bottom shelf to make room for the VP150 on the top shelf (1" too wide to have components on each side <sigh> ;o)
6) pulling the in-wall side surrounds, making a temporary backing plate to mount QS8 brackets to.
7) run temporary back 7.1 wires across the floor to where the back QS8 (temporary) stands will be placed
8) manually set SPL on all speakers to 75dB with RS meter...
....FL 80's +4.0, 60's +5.5
....FR 80's +4.0, 60's +5.5
....CC VP150 0.0 (but I bumped to +2.0 while watching a movie)
....SL QS8 +4.5
....SR QS8 +4.5
....SBL V-52 +4.5 (old Bic V-52's still on back wall)
....SBR V-52 +4.0
....SW (3) -3.0 (Paradigm Servo-15a, (2) KLH 10" 120w)

Still to do:
a) Make temporary stands for back QS8's to move around backs to find best compromise of ceiling mount location
b) Mount QS8 back an connect wires
c) test back QS8 locations
d) remove one side surr. QS8 and re-install in-wall for comparison to QS8. (I was a bit surprised that I could hear the location of the QS8's on the sides. They may nor be AS localized as the direct firing in-walls, but I'll test to see... in a few days)
e) paint my 'DIY' QS8 ceiling brackets, them mount back QS8's (this week end?)

More listening to do over time for QS8 effect and locations (backs). I will report my initial impressions in my next post.(this one too long already...) This post is just to rationalize why my energy is low today. <must just sit down and watch movie. stop designing, figuring calculating, evaluating. shutting down processors for a few hours to actually relax and enjoy. OCD will be there when I finish relaxing...>

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."