Originally Posted By: JohnK
Very good, Charles; enjoy. I do have to comment about one statement however: 80-85dB is by no means a "soft" level, it's quite loud and is the upper limit for long term exposure without hearing damage. For example, ordinary conversation with a nearby person would typically be about 60-65dB(doesn't always apply to wives)and 20dB above that is quite a significant jump considering that a 10dB increase is said to be subjectively "twice as loud".

And that is where I think so much of the debate on the amp issues lies. To me, 85db is nice. No, it is not soft, but it is far from the live instrument volume you are trying to reproduce. If 85db is near your top end, then a 5000 watt amp would make no difference. But trying to recreate a live emotion (not live rock concert! ), where 100db is often found, and 105 is common, then these more powerful amps just keep the signal clean so you don't get the distortion of my Denon clipping the signal.

In short, I agree with you, and your wrong. ;\)

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire