Originally Posted By: mdrew
Well……. It may just be superstition, but when I have a very elegant wine that’s been aged for decades, I want to be as gentle with it as possible and give it time to open up on its own. The venture is sort of barbaric in a sense and I just can’t bring myself to use it on the old gems. When we do open an older bottle, we tend to sip it and taste every half hour or so and compare our impressions. It’s all part of the experience I reckon.

Well one does prefer to err on the side of caution rather than potentially butchering a very old, very expensive bottle.

Quote:
For whites, honestly, I’ve just gotten to the point where I enjoy them (still not as much as a red though). It’s been a long road……. I suspect as my pallet matures more, I’ll probably do some more experiments with the venture and white wines.

I had a lovely Russian River Valley chardonnay last night.
Frei Brothers Reserve
Many wine 'experts' i've come across tend to thumb their noses at these US chards, calling them fat, bastardization of the grape, overdone, etc.
But, i'm keen on a smooth textured chardonnay with that buttery flavor, some mild yellow fruits, toasted oak, not too nutty, and the California wines have just that.
This Frei Brothers was in a good price point so i'm headed back to the store to nab the last two bottles on the racks.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."