I hooked up and tried out my NEW Oppo BDP83 last night and I certainly was impressed. Regarding the issue of comparing it to other BD players, (I have a Panasonic BD55, and don't ask me why I now have TWO BD players), although there wasn't any "substantial" difference in the picture, it should be noted that the Oppo loaded somewhat faster than the Panny and has a number of adjustment features that I have never seen on any other player including a "source direct" mode which is designed for those with an expensive outboard video processor. There are other features that would take too long to describe here. It is also a very solid well-built unit. As we all know, Oppo is known for their outstanding service and providing any firmware updates in the future that will further improve the performance of their products.

Keep in mind at $499 or even $599 that we are talking a "universal" player that includes SACD and DVD Audio among other things. The only other unit is the new Denon, the "alleged world's first and only" universal player at a price of $5500!!!

Since the Oppo BDP83 now can play EVERYTHING, my BD55 will be retired to the bedroom.