As long as your AVR/Pre-pro is one of the latest in HDMI connections (1.2 and up) you can play ALL the formats including SACD and DVD Audio thru HDMI. With the 3808 which, I believe, is 1.3 compatible you can set the player for PCM thru the HDMI connection or if the AVR has DSD capability you can set that in the player and the receiver will do the decoding. I have a Marantz which has DSD capability, and to my ears anyway, I like the DSD sound a little better for SACD's than the PCM setting in the player itself.

The Oppo BDP83 gives you three choices of audio set-up.

1. 7.1 analog via LPCM in which the player does ALL the decoding.
2. LPCM thru HDMI in to the AVR in which the player ALSO does all the decoding.
3. Bitstream in the player thru HDMI in which the AVR does ALL the decoding.

I have not experimented with number 1, but in listening to 2 and three, I can't hear any difference(with BDs) so I assume number 1 on the list will be equal to the others, you are just saving hooking up additional cables. One of the reasons I have shied away from the analog hook-up is because of the limitations of bass management in most players, including the BDP83. You generally only get one crossover setting which may or may not be to your liking or even practical. Your AVR gives you considerably more flexibility in that area with the digital(HDMI)connection.