Good question.

I am constantly thinking that the somewhat compressed streaming from my PC to the PS3 to M60s sounds inferior compared to a PS3 played CD or even when when I stream from same PC (but pure digital) to my Squeezebox and my upstairs M60s. This leads me to believe that there is indeed something different between the streaming of MP3s (or flacs using Tversity) to the PS3 vs. a more direct means.

All that being said, I've never been able to do a proper comparison but that is what my brain tells me and it's hard to shake. Although I use it all the time, I never stream from my PC for a serious demo of my speakers, even if it is probably just paranoia. I will use the Squeezebox for a demo though. Mental or not, it just seems better. Admittedly the room is acoustically better sounding than my small, square PS3 room.

When I stream via Internet to my laptop, wherever it might be, I'm just running cheap earphones and don't expect much anyways. It actually sounds not bad when your not expecting high end quality and cheap head phones are often more forgiving to compression than better systems.

Last edited by Murph; 07/17/09 06:59 PM. Reason: detail

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.