Originally Posted By: Micah
Ok I read the 'super clock' write up and all I can say is I would have to see this with my own eyes to believe it. And I say that because I fell for the 'Monster Cable' hype back in my youth, and once my eye's were open to the complete bullshit that is the Monster hype machine, I will no longer read a sentence such as that and then shell out $300 dollars for it without thoroughly investigating and testing it out myself to see if I feel there is any difference at all to be had. In my limited experience I've yet to notice much 'distortion' when it comes to Bluray playback. That isn't to say there aren't better components to be had out there, but are they $300 dollars better?

I have a sneaking suspision that if I took a regular Joe Oppo player and hooked it up to a decent LCD tv, then hooked up an Oppo player with this 'super clock' installed and switched the playback back and forth between the two, the differences in the picture would be so minute they would be undetectable to the vast majority of viewers, and incredibly hard to distinguish by the few who actually could tell any difference at all. You see when you go over to someone's house who has one of these players and they say, "look at that picture, isn't it incredible"!!! Sure it's easy to think to yourself 'wow, that really is an amazing picture, that super clock is wicked good'... but what you don't know is if you could even tell the difference side by side with a regular Oppo player. Because let's face it, Bluray images are stunning all on their own. But someone telling you it's stunning because of a $300 dollar super clock doesn't make it so.

Yeah monster cable is overpriced BS and isn't that high a caliber cable really. Their LFE cable is total crap and the reason it has a directional arrows is because one end of the cable the ground isn't terminated to the RCA! These facts don't make decent cables BS though. It's obvious crappy interconnects do make a huge difference. Monster capitalizes on that fact and also the ignorance of the public that barely understand how electricity comes outta an electrical outlet. Again this doesn't mean quality interconnects are BS. I've swapped out shit interconnects including Monster cable and have personally heard huge differences. There I go again using superlatives but really their is no other way to describe it. As for where to source decent cable at a decent price... Bluejeans my friend... Bluejeans Cable in the Seattle area!

As for clocks making a difference, tell the pros that use certain EOL world clocks that it doesn't make a difference. I personally know a few engineers that insist on certain clocks like the one Aardvark made some years ago. Those clocks are sold for almost double what the original purchase price was because they are so good and do have an affect on the final cut.

Solid-State

PS I've swapped out the Monster LFE for the Bluejeans Belden LFE and I can tell you right now it make a HUGE difference... HUGE! and that's with an EP500

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 03:30 PM.